Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pycon 2010 report

Hello.

Greetings to everybody from Pycon 2010 Atlanta. Right now I'm sitting in a sprint room with people sprinting on various projects, like CPython, twisted etc. The conference was really great, and I've seen some good talks, although I've been too exhausted from my own talks to go to too many. Probably I should stay away from proposing that many talks to next pycon :-)

The highlight of sprints was that we got a common mercurial repository at python.org for python benchmarks. We might be able to come up with "the python benchmark suite" which will mostly consist of simple benchmarks using large python libraries, rather than microbenchmarks. The repository was started by the Unladen Swallow people and we already have common commit access among PyPy, CPython, Unladen Swallow, Jython and Iron Python. We don't have yet a common place to run benchmarks, but we should be able to fix that soon.

Regarding the talks, there are online videos for How to write cross-interpreter python programs and Speed of PyPy talks, among other talks from Pycon. There should be a video for my short keynote shortly.

The talks were well received as there is interest in PyPy's progress.

Cheers,
fijal

4 comments:

Luis said...

Hi, I just wanted to say that there's something wrong with the PLOT ONE graphic. The speedups are expressed by horizontal lines (each one is 2x). The third line shows 8x instead of 6x.

Anonymous said...

It was nice meeting you. I hope you have fun in South Africa :)

Antoine.

Maciej Fijalkowski said...

@Luis

It's called a logarithmic scale. It means you get 2x 4x 8x 16x etc.

Luis said...

@Fijal
I see... please excuse my ignorance :-)